Field Evaluations for Electrical Products – SPE-1000 Electrical Code
ULC’s Field Evaluation Program provides you with the convenience of having your electrical equipment evaluated either prior or post installation, on-site, or at the location of your choice.
While Field Evaluation is not meant to replace regular certification, ULC designed this program specifically for manufacturers, importers and even end users of electrical equipment that is “one of a kind” and also for electrical products and equipment produced in limited quantities.
ULC Field Evaluation provides a one-time evaluation of specific electrical equipment, and once the equipment meets the requirements of the Model Code SPE-1000, the serialized ULC Electrical Field Evaluation Label will be immediately applied to the electrical equipment right away. You will also receive the final report to satisfy the electrical authorities on the spot! The ULC Electrical Field Evaluation Label and final report provide you with the proof of compliance the local electrical authorities require you to have before the equipment can be used. Most importantly, ULC is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada and the ULC Electrical Field Evaluation Label is recognized and accepted by the Canadian Electrical Authorities across the country. You can rest assured that when you work with ULC, you are working with an agency with 100 years of experience working for electrical safety within Canada!
When to consider ULC Field Evaluation in Canada
- You have shipped or installed the equipment at the final destination.
- You are producing low volume, limited quantities or batches of equipment, in quantities of maximum 500 pieces per model, per year.
- The equipment is custom engineered.
- You are developing a new product and want to assess if your product meets the applicable electrical safety requirements.
- You may need full certification for a new product you are designing, but you first want to test market the product.
- You ultimately want full certification, but would first like to ensure that your prototypes and test samples comply with the essential requirements of SPE-1000 before submitting for full certification.
- You have modified an already existing piece of equipment.
- There is no existing electrical certification standard that applies to your product.
- Time to market is critical and/or full certification is not practical.
Types of electrical equipment that qualify
The majority of electrical equipment eligible for Field Evaluation include:
- Industrial Control Panels (ICP)
- Automated Manufacturing, Assembly and Packaging Equipment
- Energy Storage Equipment
- Luminaires, Signs and Display Cabinets
- Switchboards, Panelboards and Motor Control Centers
- Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGVs), Intelligent Assist Devices (IADs) and Robots and Robotic Equipment
- Heating and Cooling Equipment
- Commercial Cooking and Food Service Equipment
- Distributed Generation Equipment
- Information Technology Equipment
- Laboratory Equipment
And much more!
The Model Code SPE-1000 – What you need to know
The Model Code SPE-1000 specifies the minimum construction, test and marking requirements to ensure the safety for electrical equipment, while addressing potential hazards to the public and property. The Field Evaluation includes an assessment of the compliance to the mandatory constructional and marking requirements, as well as the performance of the applicable non-destructive tests, as specified in the SPE-1000 Code. The required tests vary depending on the type of equipment and the installation location.
The route to acceptance by Authorities Having Jurisdiction
Electrical equipment for use within Canada must be approved and meet the safety requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code. Your electrical equipment does not necessarily need to go through the full product certification process, which may involve destructive testing. Instead, you can opt to have your equipment evaluated and approved using Underwriters Laboratories of Canada’s (ULC) Field Evaluation Program and evaluate the equipment to the requirements of SPE-1000, The Model Code for the Field Evaluation of Electrical Equipment.
Why ULC Field Evaluation is the best option in Canada
- Fast service and turnaround time – The ULC team can be onsite within 24 hours. We work closely with you and the local authorities (AHJs) to meet your tight deadline.
- Technical expertise – The ULC team has vast experience and there is very little equipment we have not seen. We know the SPE-1000 Code and related equipment requirements inside out!
- Technical support – The ULC team will provide you with technical support throughout the process to ensure that your equipment meets the requirements
- Building Trust in Safety – Your product will display North America’s most accepted safety mark.
- Canadian Electrical Authorities know, trust and accept the ULC Electrical Field Evaluation Label.
- Working in Canada for 100 years! Working for a Safer World!
Contact us today to discuss your project and how ULC can help you meet the requirements demanded by the electrical authorities across Canada.