Field Evaluation Services
Federal, provincial, and municipal regulatory requirements establish that gas-fired equipment and electrical products be certified or evaluated by a recognized third party before they can be approved for use. For products that do not have a certification or have been modified in the field, a ULC Field Evaluation provides this required evaluation. This process is for products that are already installed or destined for installation at a designated end use site.
A field evaluation is a process whereby products that do not have a certification acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), owner or other regulatory body can be evaluated to the applicable product safety standard(s) for the specific application and location where the product is being utilized. The process includes construction inspection for use of components, assembly, marking and limited nondestructive testing to complete the evaluation.
The majority of installed equipment is eligible for the field evaluation service. The most commonly field-evaluated electrical products, gas-fired equipment and medical electrical equipment and systems include:
- Industrial control panels (ICP)
- Automated manufacturing, assembly and packaging equipment
- Semiconductor fabrication equipment
- Luminaires, signs and display cabinets
- Switchboards, panelboards and motor control centers
- Automatic guided vehicles (AGVs), intelligent assist devices (IADs), and robots and robotic equipment
- Heating and cooling equipment
- Commercial cooking and food service equipment
- Distributed generation equipment
- Information Technology Equipment
- Laboratory Equipment
- Gas-fired appliances or equipment that are not covered under the scope of any full certification standard
- Stationary appliance
- Medical electrical equipment and systems, such as MRIs, X-rays, CT scanning equipment and laser equipment
- Some types of mobile equipment upon permission by AHJs
The UL field evaluation label is the most widely recognized and accepted third party evaluation label in North America, giving products the surest route to product acceptance by authorities, regulators and vendors. We use only full-time qualified engineering staff to deliver field evaluation services. Our field staff have direct access to the UL Primary Designated Engineers (subject matter experts) and Research Engineers when technical support is needed.
Check out our Field Evaluation services for electrical products and gas-fired equipment and let us help you with your compliance needs.