UL ECOLOGO Certification for Mineral Exploration
The first comprehensive sustainable development certification for mineral exploration companies and their service providers that features third-party certification of environmental, social and economic practices. Currently offered in Quebec and expanding across Canada and abroad.
By its very nature, mineral exploration can disrupt natural ecosystems and local economies and trigger lasting environmental effects in communities. As one of the largest industries in Canada, mineral exploration can have considerable impact on the economy and environment.
Recognizing this, the Quebec Mineral Exploration Association (QMEA) mandated the UQAT-UQAM Chair in Mining Entrepreneurship (Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue/Université du Québec à Montréal) to develop a standard to evaluate mineral exploration companies and their service providers on:
- Environmental impact
- Safety of people in the mineral exploration process and locally impacted communities
- Fair and ethical business practices
- Compliance with applicable legal requirements
- Efficient use of financial resources.
This consensus standard has been adapted by UL, and now companies can pursue ECOLOGO Certification for their mineral exploration activities to achieve tax incentives, validate their responsible business practices to the market, and demonstrate good performance to financiers and investors.
Through a process that includes on-site visits and thorough documentation review, the ECOLOGO Certification offers mineral exploration companies and their suppliers the visibility they need to identify, address and promote their responsible processes.
Companies can pursue certification to one of two standards:
- UL 2723 ECOLOGO Certification Program for Mineral Exploration Companies
- UL 2724 ECOLOGO Certification Program for Suppliers of Mineral Exploration Industry
Companies are evaluated on the following requirements in the standard:
- Compliance with Sustainable Design principles along the value chain
- Efficient use of natural resources
- Air quality
- Water quality
- Soil quality
- Respect for sensitive areas and wildlife habitat
Quality of Life
- Recognition of the concerns and accommodation of local communities
- Recognition of the concerns and accommodation of Aboriginal communities
- Noise and sensory environment
- Quality of visual environment
- Health and safety of communities
- Respect for cultural heritage
- Selection of local labor
- Selection of local suppliers
- Occupational health and safety
- Corruption prevention
- Accountability of executives and managers
Transparency and reporting
- Information sharing
- Responsible use of technologies
- Efficient use of financial resources
ECOLOGO Certification for Mineral Exploration offers mineral exploration companies and their service providers an opportunity to verify their reduced environmental impact and responsible business practices. Certification enables companies to communicate commitment to the environment, human health and fair economic practices to investors and stakeholders. In addition, the thorough auditing process can provide visibility into a company’s own operations and those of their vendors, identifying potential problems early, so that they can be addressed prior to safety, social or environmental crises. Certified companies can reap financial benefits including tax incentives, marketplace preference and green investment dollars.
A trusted name in third party testing and certification for more than 125 years, UL is a science-based testing, inspection and certification company with expertise in developing standards and certifying against those standards. Third-party certifications from UL demonstrate integrity of claims and can add more value to your brand. When your success is at stake, leave nothing to chance—put UL’s vast expertise, thoroughness, broad capabilities, widespread acceptance and world-class reputation to work for you.