Standards Council of Canada Approves Six National Standards of Canada for Flammable, Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) and ULC Standards are pleased to announce the publication of six National Standards of Canada (NSC) related to storage tanks for flammable and combustible liquids. These standards are designed to protect Canadians’ health and safety, as well as the environment.
The publishing of these standards is a key SCC priority supported by the Government of Canada, as part of SCC’s ongoing effort to modernize Canada’s standardization network. The six standards conform with the latest technological and commercial advancements for this industry. Specifically, the standards relate to steel underground tanks, retrofit systems, fibre reinforced plastic, tank assemblies and leak detection devices for both underground and aboveground tanks.
The six standards follow an SCC-led, multi-year collaborative effort with federal departments to ensure standards in regulations are up to date and of greatest relevance to Canada. In 2013, ULC Standards, a long-standing SCC-accredited standards development organization (SDO), was awarded the contract to develop and update these standards.
“With the support of the Government of Canada, SCC was able to ensure that these national standards reflect current practices and innovations in the flammable and combustible liquids industry,” said SCC’s CEO, John Walter. “The release of these standards is the tangible result of the work that SCC is leading, providing for new and updated standards to be used by government and industry in Canada.”
SCC has approved the following six NSCs for publishing by ULC Standards:
- CAN/ULC-S675.2-14 Non-volumetric Leak Detection Devices for Underground and Aboveground Storage Tanks and Piping for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- CAN/ULC-S669-14 Internal Retrofit Systems For Underground Tanks for Flammable And Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
- CAN/ULC-S675.1-14 Volumetric Leak Detection Devices for Underground and Aboveground Storage Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- CAN/ULC-S677-14 Fire-tested Aboveground Tank Assemblies for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- CAN/ULC S603-14 Steel Underground Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- CAN/ULC-S615-14 Fibre-Reinforced Plastic Underground Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids
“ULC is proud to participate in this important work, which will have a positive impact on Canadians and on our environment,” said ULC’s General Manager, Joseph Hosey. “In support of Environment Canada’s ongoing initiative to modernize regulations for this industry, these standards are being updated to reflect current industry practices and innovations. These successful collaborations would not have resulted without the active and engaged participation of the committee chairs and members, as well as ULC Standards staff.”
ULC Standards will continue to support SCC’s efforts in helping key federal departments find ways to ensure ongoing monitoring and maintenance of standards important to Canada’s regulatory agenda.